Introduction: The health insurance situation in Mississippi is not satisfactory, at all. According to a survey conducted between 2001 and 2003, by Center for Disease Control, almost 17% of the total Mississippi dwellers did not have Mississippi health insurance coverage.
Here, we have talked about some important factors, regarding Mississippi health insurance. We have provided a useful abstract that contains a comprehensive discussion on Mississippi medical insurance regulations as well as Mississippi state medical insurance alternative options. The abstract also contains a list of top Mississippi health insurance companies. Mississippi residents can certainly depend on this article to know about the current health insurance status of their state.
Some Important Regulations for Mississippi Medical Insurance
- All Mississippi medical insurance plans should have a guaranteed provision for renewal.
- This guaranteed renewability provision helps Mississippi residents to renew their existing health insurance plan, if and only if they have paid all the premiums, in time and provided no false information during the tenure of respective health insurance plan.
- Mississippi medical insurance costs may increase, depending upon the health status and age of an individual.
- Mississippi medical insurance providers can not cancel coverage or reject renewal application, on the basis of health condition of an individual.
- Mississippi medical insurance companies can inflict a waiting period for pre-existing health condition.
- A pre-existing health condition may be defined as an illness for which an individual has been treated or otherwise diagnosed within 1 year before commencement of new Mississippi medical insurance plan.
- An individual will get no coverage for his or her health condition, during the term of pre-existing health condition waiting period.
- Mississippi health insurance companies can implement a waiting period for a pre-existing health condition for not more than 12 months.
- Some of the Mississippi medical insurance plans may inflict elimination riders. Elimination riders can restrict an individual to get coverage for any particular medical condition, for an indefinite period of time or even permanently.
- Mississippi medical insurance companies can refuse or reject an application for individual health insurance policy, depending on the health condition and age of the applicant. Health insurance companies can also impose limitations for the approved health insurance plans.
- Mississippi medical insurance companies can not reject an application for coverage under an employer Mississippi health insurance plan. Individuals, having employer Mississippi medical insurance policies, can enjoy unlimited coverage.
- Mississippi medical insurance plans that offer dependant coverage should cover newborns under parent's medical insurance plan, for the first 31 days from the day of birth. Later the policy should be adjusted, accordingly.
- Handicapped dependants are entitled to enjoy coverage under parent's health insurance, even beyond the pre-decided age limit.
- Mississippi residents, who are between jobs or medical insurance policies, can take advantage of temporary Mississippi medial insurance, provided all the eligibility criteria should be met.
Mississippi Medical Insurance Alternative Options
Some state-aided health insurance alternative programs are active within the state of Mississippi. Individuals, who are otherwise considered as “uninsurable” or unable to pay for individual Mississippi medical insurance, are allowed to access such state-aided health insurance alternative programs; provided, they should meet the qualifying criteria. The alternative programs are as follows:
- Mississippi Medicaid: This program is available to the Mississippi residents, who otherwise meet all the qualifying as well as income criteria.
- Mississippi Children's Health Insurance Program or MCHIP: This program is especially created to provide health insurance coverage to the children and teens. However, children and teens from the families that are not qualified for Mississippi Medicaid or unable to afford the cost of Mississippi health insurance are only eligible for this program.
- Mississippi Comprehensive Health Insurance Risk Pool Association: This is the high risk pool for Mississippi health insurance. Mississippi residents, who otherwise are qualified as “uninsurable”, can have access to group Mississippi medical insurance, through this program.
Mississippi Medical Insurance Companies
Mississippi Insurance Department has provided the following list of HMOs or Health Maintenance Organizations that are active within the state:
- HMO of Mississippi, Inc. (Mailing Address: P. O. Box 24566 Jackson, MS 39225-4566)
- Windsor Health Plan of TN, Inc. (Mailing Address: 7100 Commerce Way, Suite 285 Brentwood, TN 37027)
- PhysiciansPlus Baptist & St. Dominic, Inc. (Mailing Address: 969 Lakeland Drive Jackson, MS 39216)
- CIGNA HealthCare of Tennessee, Inc. (Mailing Address: 1000 Corporate Centre Drive - Suite 500 Franklin, TN 37067)
- United HealthCare of Mississippi, Inc. (Mailing Address: 800 Woodlands Parkway - Suite 102 Ridgeland, MS 39157)
- HealthSpring, Inc. (Mailing Address: 44 Vantage Way, Suite 300 Nashville, TN 37228)
Mississippi Insurance Department
For more information on Mississippi health insurance, you can contact at the following address:
Mississippi Insurance Department:
Mississippi Insurance Department
P.O. Box 79
Jackson, MS 39205
Fax: (601) 359-1077 (Customer Services Division)
Statewide Toll-free: (800) 562-2957 (for customers only)
Main Switchboard: (601) 359-3569