Introduction: The health insurance situation in Kentucky is not satisfactory, at all. In accordance to a survey conducted by The Center for Disease Control, between 2001 and 2003, 13.3% of total Kentucky population was not covered by any of the Kentucky health insurance plan per year. To let the Kentucky dwellers inform about Kentucky heath insurance regulations and state-driven health programs, we have provided a useful abstract, below. The abstract also contains a comprehensive list of major Kentucky health insurance providers.
Some Important Regulations for Kentucky Medical Insurance
To regulate the health insurance situation of the state and to monitor the activities of active Kentucky health insurance providers, the state government has introduced some rules and regulations. The regulations are as follows:
- All Kentucky health insurance plans must have a provision for guaranteed renewal. This guaranteed renewability provision lets the Kentucky insurance-holders renew their existing health plan; if and only if, they have paid all the premiums in a timely manner and provided no fake information.
- Kentucky health insurance providers have right to inflict a waiting period for a pre-existing medial condition.
- As of the state laws of Kentucky, a pre-existing health condition may be defined as a health condition for which an individual has been enjoyed coverage by previous Kentucky health insurance plan within at least 6 months before commencement of new Kentucky health insurance plan.
- An applicant is not eligible to get covered by new Kentucky health insurance plan during the course of pre-existing health condition waiting period.
- Kentucky health insurers have right to cancel any application for any pre-existing health condition; temporarily or even permanently.
- Previous waiting period may be credited to the waiting period for new Kentucky health insurance plan, provided there is not record of payment failure or time gap between previous and new Kentucky health insurance plans.
- Kentucky health insurance plans should cover the adopted children and newborns for a minimum duration of 31-days from the day of adoption or birth. However, the health insurance plans should be modified, accordingly; after the period is over.
- Kentucky health insurance plans that cover dependants should always cover handicapped dependants. These dependants should be covered even if they are above the decided age limit.
- Kentucky health insurance companies can refuse or reject an insurance application; on basis of age and health status of the respective applicant. However, refusal or rejection is strictly prohibited by law for employer or group insurance plans.
- Rates of premiums for Kentucky health insurance plans vary according to the age and health status of the applicants. However, the insurers are not allowed to increase the amount of premium, indefinitely.
- Some of the Kentucky health insurance companies offer temporary coverage for the Kentucky dwellers that are between jobs. Some of the companies offer conversion coverage, too.
Kentucky Health Insurance Alternatives
There are some state-aided health programs available in the state of Kentucky. The residents of Kentucky, who are “uninsurable” by law or can't able to afford Kentucky health insurance, can opt for them. The programs are mentioned below:
- Kentucky Medicaid: This state-aided program is offered to the individuals who otherwise meet all the eligibility criteria including income-related requirements.
- Kentucky Children's Health Insurance Program: This program is especially designed for the children below and up to 19 years. However, children, from the families that are not eligible for Kentucky Medicaid or unable to pay for Kentucky health insurance, are only eligible for this program.
- Kentucky Access: This program is a high-risk pool for the state. It allows Kentucky residents that are not eligible for individual Kentucky medical insurance plans; to get enrolled to group health insurance plans.
- Kentucky Health Insurance Program for Seniors: This program lets the senior citizen avail information regarding long-term health insurance plans as well as prescription medication programs.
Active Kentucky Health Insurance Companies
The list of top health insurance organizations within Kentucky as provided by the Kentucky office of Insurance is mentioned below:
- Anthem Health Plans of Kentucky Inc.
- Bluegrass Family Health Inc.
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Conseco Senior Health Ins.Company
- Health Care Indemnity Inc.
- Humana Health Insurance Company of Florida Inc.
- Humana Health Plan Inc.
- Humana Health Plan of Ohio Inc.
- Corporate Health Ins. Company
- Principal Health Ins. Company
- Health Resources Inc.
- MAMSI Life and Health Ins. Company
- University Health Care Inc.
- United HealthCare of Kentucky, Ltd.
- Unicare Life and Health Ins. Company
- United Healthcare of Ohio Inc.
- Sierra Health and Life Ins. Company Inc.
- QCC Ins. Company
- CHA HMO Inc.
Kentucky Office of Insurance
For more information regarding Kentucky health insurance, you can contact at the following address:
215 W. Main St.
Frankfort, Kentucky 40601
P.O. Box 517
Frankfort, KY 40602
Telephone: (800) 595-6053