Introduction: The health insurance situation in Iowa is quite satisfactory; in comparison to the situation in other states of United States. According to a survey conducted between 2001 and 2003, by Center for Disease Control, 9.5% of the total Iowa residents were uninsured for Iowa heath insurance.
Here, in this article, we have stated some important regulations for Iowa health insurance. A comprehensive list of major Iowa medical insurance companies, are provided in the article. A complete discussion on Iowa state health insurance alternative options is also included in the article. Hopefully, the entire discussion would help the Iowa residents to know the present health insurance condition of their state.
Regulations for Iowa Medical Insurance
The state government of Iowa has introduced some rules and regulations to control the overall Iowa health insurance situation as well as monitor the activities of Iowa health insurance companies. The regulations are talked about, below:
- The Iowa health insurance plans should have a guaranteed provision for renewal. This guaranteed renewability provision lets an Iowa individual renew his or her existing Iowa health insurance plan. However, to take advantage of this facility, he or she should make sure that all the premiums are paid, timely and no fake information has been provided.
- Iowa health insurance companies can inflict a waiting period for a pre-existing medical condition.
- As per Iowa state law, a pre-existing medical condition may be defined as an illness for which an individual has been diagnosed or otherwise treated previously before the commencement of new Iowa health insurance plan.
- Continual coverage for over 12 months can be credited from previous Iowa health insurance plan to new Iowa health insurance plan for pre-existing medical condition waiting period.
- Iowa health insurance companies can not implement a waiting period for more than 1 year.
- According to the state law, an Iowa health insurance company can not deny insurance coverage to an individual, who seeks Iowa health insurance through an employer. The individual can expect an unlimited coverage.
- Denial is allowed to an individual who seeks individual Iowa medical insurance, depending on the individual's health condition and age.
- Once acquired, Iowa health insurance companies can not terminate insurance coverage on the basis of an individual's health condition.
- Rate or premiums for Iowa health insurance depends on the age and health status of an individual. The rate can be even hiked, indefinitely.
- Iowa residents, who are between health insurance policies or jobs, can opt for conversion Iowa health insurance policy or temporary Iowa health insurance policy; offered by different health insurance providers. Nevertheless, they should apply for a conversion or temporary policy within 31 days from expiry of previous Iowa medical insurance plan.
Iowa Health Insurance Alternative Options
Iowa individuals, who are otherwise considered as 'uninsurable” or unable to pay for Iowa health insurance, can opt for any of the Iowa health insurance alternative programs; according to their eligibility status. Iowa health insurance alternative programs are basically Iowa state health insurance programs that are aided by the state government. The programs are discussed below:
- Iowa Medicaid: This is a state-aided program that is offered to the Iowa residents, who otherwise meet all the eligibility as well as income criteria.
- Hawk-I: This is Iowa State Children Health Insurance program. The program is offered to the children below and up to the age of 19. Children, who belong to the families that are not able to afford Iowa health insurance or not eligible for Iowa Medicaid, qualify for this program.
- Iowa Comprehensive Health Association: This is a high risk pool for the state. The program lets the “uninsurable” Iowa residents take advantage of group Iowa health insurance plan. Pre-existing medical condition waiting period may be applied.
Iowa Health Insurance Companies
The Iowa Department of Insurance has provided a comprehensive list of major Iowa heath insurance companies. The list is given below:
- Aetna Health and Life Ins. Co.
- Alta Health & Life Ins. Co.
- American Health and Life Ins. Co.
- American Healthcare Indemnity Co.
- American Specialty Health Ins. Co.
- Avera Health Plans, Inc.
- Best Life and Health Ins. Co.
- Central States Health and Life Co. of Omaha
- Conseco Health Ins. Co.
- Conseco Senior Health Ins. Co.
- Corporate Health Ins. Co.
- Coventry Health and Life Ins. Co.
- Coventry Health Care of Iowa, Inc
- Coventry Health Care of Nebraska, Inc.
- Exclusive Healthcare, Inc
- First Health Life & Health Ins. Co.
- Fort Wayne Health & Casualty Ins. Co.
- Genworth Life and Health Ins. Co.
- Gundersen Lutheran Health Plan, Inc.
- Health Alliance-Midwest, Inc.
- Health Net Life Ins. Co.
- Healthy Alliance Life Ins. Co.
- HM Health Ins. Co.
- Individual Assurance Co. Life Health & Accident
- Medical Associates Health Plan, Inc.
- Mega Life and Health Ins. Co. (The)
- Molina Healthcare Ins. Co.
- National Health Ins. Co.
- NevadaCare, Inc., d/b/a i/hx Iowa Health Solutions, Inc.
- North American Company for Life and Health Ins.
- PacifiCare Life and Health Ins. Co.
- Principal Health Ins. Co.
- Provident American Life & Health Ins. Co.
- Renaissance Life & Health Ins. Co. of America
- Sierra Health and Life Ins. Co. Inc.
- Sioux Valley Health Plan
- Swiss Re Life & Health America Inc.
- UniCARE Life & Health Ins. Co.
- United HealthCare Ins. Co.
- United Healthcare of the Midlands, Inc.
- UnitedHealthcare Ins. Co. of the River Valley
- UnitedHealthcare Plan of the River Valley, Inc.
- Wellmark Health Plan of IO, Inc.
Iowa Insurance Division
For more information regarding Iowa health insurance, you can contact at the office of Iowa Insurance Division at the following address:
Iowa Insurance Division
330 Maple St.
Des Moines, IA 50319-0065
Des Moines Area: 515-281-5705
Toll Free (within Iowa): 877-955-1212