Introduction: Health insurance situation in Illinois does not significantly differ from the rest of United States. Between 2001 and 2003 and in accordance to a survey conducted by Center for Disease Control, 14% of the total Illinois dwellers were not covered by any health insurance coverage for each year.
In this abstract, we have discussed some important health insurance regulations for Illinois health insurance. The abstract also contains a comprehensive list of top Illinois health insurance companies. Information regarding state health insurance programs is too provided in this abstract. Being a resident of Illinois, you can surely take advantage of this discussion.
Some Important Regulations for Illinois Medical Insurance
To control the entire Illinois health insurance market and to monitor the activities of health insurance companies, the state government has launched some rules and regulations that are discussed below:
- Every Illinois health insurance policy should guarantee a provision for renewal. As per state laws, this guaranteed renewability provision may be considered as the right offered to the individuals by the health insurers; to renew their existing health insurance plan. Guaranteed renewability provision is applicable, only when there is no record of premium failure or providing false information.
- Illinois health insurance policies should offer coverage to the newborns as well as adopted children for at least a duration of 31-days from the pertinent day of birth or adoption.
- Illinois medical insurance policies are allowed to inflict a waiting period for a pre-existing medical condition.
- As per state laws, a pre-existing medical condition may be defined as a medical condition for which an applicant has been treated previously by previous health insurance plan; before commencement of new Illinois health insurance plan.
- An individual, with a pre-existing medical condition, needs to wait throughout the waiting period for getting medical benefits from new Illinois health insurance plan.
- The duration of waiting period completely depends on health insurers' decision.
- Illinois health insurance companies can refuse or reject an application from an applicant with pre-existing condition, temporarily or ever permanently; depending on the health status of that questioned applicant.
- Illinois health insurance companies can deny an application for insurance coverage from an applicant, on basis of his age and medical status.
- There is no static rate for Illinois health insurance. Illinois Health insurance companies can fix and increase the rate of premiums; depending on age, health status and the changes that may take place in an individual's life.
- Denial to an application for insurance coverage is strictly prohibited by state laws; while the applicant is seeking for an employer Illinois health insurance plan.
- Some temporary as well as conversion health insurance plans are also available within the state of Illinois. Individuals, who are between jobs or health insurance policies, can go for such plans. However, they should buy it within a maximum of 31-days from the expiry of previous health insurance plan. The rate of premiums may vary, accordingly.
Illinois Health Insurance Alternative Choices
The Illinois residents, who do not qualify to get covered by Illinois health insurance or otherwise can't afford it, are eligible for Illinois health insurance alternative programs. These programs are run by the state of Illinois. The programs are discussed below:
- Illinois Medicaid: Illinois residents, who meet all the income as well as other qualifying criteria, are eligible for Illinois Medicaid program.
- Illinois Pharmaceutical Assistance Program: Illinois department of ageing renders an enrollment fee of 25 USD to the individuals who qualify for this state program.
- Illinois KidCare Program: This is Illinois medical insurance program especially created for the children, teens and pregnant women of all ages, provided they are not eligible for Illinois Medicaid or unable to afford Illinois medical insurance.
- Illinois Comprehensive Health Insurance Plan: This is a high-risk pool that allows Illinois individuals, who are otherwise considered as “uninsurable” by the state laws, to have access to group Illinois medical insurance.
Active Illinois Health Insurance Companies
The list of top health insurance companies, as provided by the Illinois Insurance Department, is provided, below:
- Aetna United States Healthcare Of Illinois
- Aetna Life Ins. Co.
- Cigna Healthcare of St. Louis Inc.
- Cigna Healthcare of IL
- Great-West Healthcare of IL
- Group Health Plan Inc.
- Humana Health Plan Inc.
- Health Alliance Medical Plans Inc
- HMO Missouri Inc.
- Health Care Service Corporation.
- Health Link HMO Inc.
- Mercy Health Plans of Missouri Inc.
- Mercycare Ins. Co.
- Medical Associates Health Plan Inc.
- OSF Health Plns Inc.
- Nevadacare Inc.
- Prudential Health Care Plan Inc.
- Personalcare Ins. of IL
- Rockford Health Plans Inc.
- Union Health Services Inc.
- United Healthcare of the Midwest
- United Healthcare of IL Inc.
- Unicare Health Plans
- Wellmark Health Plan of Iowa Inc.
Illinois Department of Health Insurance
For more information on Illinois health insurance, you can contact at the following address:
Illinois Department of Health Insurance
320 W. Washington Street
Springfield, IL 62767-0001