Introduction: The health insurance situation in Hawaii is not so worrying. According to a survey conducted by Center for Disease Control, between 2001 and 2003, 9.9% of total Hawaii dwellers were not covered by Hawaii health insurance for each year. Nevertheless, to make the Hawaiians well-informed about Hawaii health insurance regulations; we have provided a useful abstract, here. The abstract also contains names of the major Hawaii health insurance companies and the plans & policies offered by them.
Regulations for Hawaii Health Insurance
The state government of Hawaii has introduced some important laws that the health insurance companies, active within the state, should strictly abide by. These laws help the state to regulate and monitor the activities of the health insurers. The laws are discussed below:
- Hawaii health insurance companies should keep a provision for renewal for existing Hawaii health insurance plans. This guaranteed renewability provision lets the individual renew their existing plans; provided the individual has disbursed all the premiums in a timely manner and provided no fake information to the insurers.
- Hawaii health insurance companies that provide dependant coverage are required to conclude adopted children and newborns to their parent's health insurance plans for at least 31 days from the day of adoption or birth, accordingly. The plans should be amended after that period.
- Hawaii health insurance companies are allowed to inflict a waiting period for a pre-existing health condition for which an individual has already received treatment from his previous health insurance plan; prior to commencement of new Hawaii health insurance plan.
- The Hawaii health insurers are also allowed to refuse or reject a coverage application for a pre-existing health condition.
- Duration of a waiting period entirely depends of the health insurer's decision.
- However, there are some insurers that do not implement a waiting period.
- Hawaii health insurance companies are not allowed to deny renewal for an exiting health insurance plan; depending on the age and health status of an individual.
- Hawaii health insurance companies, however can refuse an insurance application; on the basis of age and health condition of an individual. Nevertheless, denial is strictly prohibited in case of group or employer Hawaii health insurance plans.
- Some of the active Hawaii health insurers accept all health insurance applications; regardless of age and other major health-related criteria.
- Hawaii health insurance companies are allowed to fix the premium rates; on the basis of an individual's age and health status.
Hawaii Health Insurance Alternative Options
If you are a resident of Hawaii and are not eligible for or unable to afford Hawaii health insurance; you can opt for any of the alternative health insurance options aided by the state government of Hawaii. The programs are as follows:
- Hawaii Medicaid and Quest: Hawaii Medicaid program is denoted as Quest. Hawaii residents, who otherwise meet all the income as well as health-related criteria, are entitled for Hawaii Medicaid. Over 125,000 Hawaiians have already opted for this state-driven program.
- Hawaii Children's Health Insurance Program: This program is especially designed for the children of Hawaii; below and up to age of 19. Children from the families that are not able to afford Hawaii health insurance plans or otherwise not eligible for Hawaii health insurance, qualify for this state-aided program.
Health Insurance Organizations in Hawaii
As determined by Hawaii Insurance Division, the major Health Maintenance Organizations or HMOs within the state are:
- Kaiser Foundation Health Plan, Inc
The subsequent is a list of Hawaii health insurance companies that offer Prepaid Healthcare Council approved health plans to the employers:
- Kaiser Foundation Health Plan, Inc.
- Hawaii Management Alliance Association (HMAA)
- Nippon Life Insurance Company of America
- Summerlin Life & Health Ins. Co.
- Hawaii Medical Service Association (HMSA)
- University Health Alliance (UHA)
- United Healthcare Ins. Company
Hawaii Insurance Division
Following is the address of Hawaii Insurance Division. You can contact here for every sort of assistance regarding Hawaii health insurance:
P.O. Box 3614
Honolulu, Hawaii 96811
For telephonic assistance, you can call at any of the following numbers:
Fax: (808) 586-2806
Individuals from neighbor islands can call at any of the following numbers; followed by 6-2799 or 6-2790 and then # sign:
Lanai & Molokai: 1-800-468-4644 (toll free)