Introduction: The health insurance situation in Georgia is quite worrisome; in respect of the situation in other states of America. Almost 16% of the Georgia population is not covered by any health insurance plan. In the below-mentioned abstract, we have discussed some important facts about Georgia health insurance as well as alternative Georgia health insurance options. The abstract also contains a list of Georgia health insurance organizations.
According to a survey conducted by the Center for Disease Control, 16.4% of total Georgia residents were not insured for Georgia health insurance per year, between the period of 2001 and 2003.
Important Regulations for Georgia Health Insurance Companies
State government of Georgia has launched some rules and regulations; to be obeyed by the Georgia health insurance providers. The regulations are as follows:
- Georgia health insurance companies should have a guaranteed provision for renewal. This guaranteed renewability provision lets the customers renew their existing Georgia health insurance plan; provided all the previous premiums have been disbursed, in a timely manner. Moreover, the customers should provide no false information.
- Georgia health insurance companies have right to inflict a waiting period for a pre-existing health condition before commencement of the new Georgia health insurance plan.
- Duration of waiting period depends on the nature of pre-existing health condition. In some cases, the insurers can restrict insurance coverage for an unlimited period of time. However, most of the insurers restrict coverage for a maximum of 2 years.
- Waiting period for new Georgia health insurance plan may be reduced by the period of time; an individual was covered by a previous health insurance plan, provided there was no premium failure for even a single day. In case of breakage in coverage or payment failure, an individual has to wait to get coverage for his or her health condition by the period of time; according to the decision taken by respective insurer.
- Georgia health insurance plans need to automatically conclude newborns and adopted children to their parent's individual health insurance plan for at least 31 days from the day of birth or adoption. This law is applicable for the Georgia health insurance plans that cover up dependants.
- An individual, who is between jobs, can opt for a temporary or conversion Georgia health insurance; unless and until he purchases new Georgia health insurance plan.
- Georgia health insurance companies have right to decide the premium rates.
- The rates get varied according to the age and health status of the applicants.
- New health insurance coverage can be denied on the basis of age and health of an individual. Nevertheless, renewal can't be denied; in case of group or employer health insurance plans.
- Renewal of an existing Georgia health insurance policy is mandatory. Renewal can't be denied, whatsoever; depending upon age and health condition of an individual. However, the premium rates can be increased on the basis of these two factors.
Georgia Medical Insurance Alternative Options
Within the state of Georgia, there are several alternative health insurance options. If you are considered as an “uninsurable” or unable to pay for Georgia health insurance, you can opt for them. These are state-aided programs that you can certainly make use of. Some of those alternative GA health insurance options are as follows:
- Medicaid: You can avail Medicaid, if you meet all of the income as well as qualifying criteria.
- PeachCare for Kids: This Georgia health insurance plan is especially designed for children below and up to the age of 19. Children, from the families that are not eligible for Medicaid or can't pay for Georgia health insurance, only qualify for this program.
Georgia Health Insurance Companies
According to the Georgia insurance commission, top health insurance companies within the state are:
- Kaiser Permanente
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Georgia
GA Insurance Commission:
For more information on GA health insurance, you can contact at the office of GA Insurance at the following address:
Two Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive
West Tower, Suite 704
Atlanta, GA 30334
Main Telephone: 404-656-2070
Toll Free: 800- 656-2298