Introduction: Overall situation of Delaware health insurance market is not so alarming. However, almost 10% of total Delaware population remains uncovered per year by any health insurance coverage. To let the Delaware dwellers get informed about the major medical insurance organizations along with the health insurance plans and policies offered by them; we have provided an abstract, below. The abstract also contains information about the Delaware state-aided health programs.
According to a survey conducted by Center for Disease Control, 10.1% of the total number of Delaware people for each year; did not get any health insurance coverage; from 2001 to 2003.
Some Regulations for Delaware Medical Insurance Organizations
The state government of Delaware has introduced some rules and regulations to control and regulate activities of the health insurance companies; within the state. According to the laws,
- Delaware health insurance companies have to keep guaranteed provision for renewal; so that every policy holder can renew their existing medical insurance plan, without any hassle. However, to take advantage of guaranteed renewability provision, the policyholders have to make sure that all the premiums have been disbursed in a timely manner and there is no record of payment failure or fraud information.
- Delaware health insurance companies can inflict a waiting period for any pre-existing medical condition.
- A pre-existing medical condition waiting period may be defined as the duration of time; the respective customer has to wait before he or she gets covered by a new health insurance plan for the illness he or she has been previously treated.
- Health insurance providers have full liberty by the state laws to fix the extent of the waiting period.
- Insurance companies can temporarily or even permanently reject an insurance application for a pre-existing medical condition.
- Depending on the age and health status of the customers, the insurance providers can fix the rate of premium. The rate of premium thus gets differed from individual to individual. Health insurance companies can deny coverage on the basis of these two factors. However, denial is not possible in case of employer or group health insurance plans and policies.
Health insurance companies that operate their health insurance business in Delaware might or might not be licensed; in the state. Nevertheless, licensed Delaware health insurance providers should abide by the rules introduced by the state government.
Delaware Health Insurance Alternatives, apart from the traditional Delaware health insurance plans
Delaware residents that are not eligible for traditional Delaware health insurance plans are affirmed as 'uninsurable”. There are some state-aided alternative options to help these 'uninsurable” individuals as well as the individuals that can't pay for Delaware health insurances. The options are as follows:
- Delaware Healthy Children Program: This state-run health insurance program is especially created for the children who reside in Delaware and under age 19. However, children coming from the families that are not eligible for Medicaid or can't pay for Delaware health insurance; only qualify for this program.
- Delaware Medicaid and Prescription Assistance Program: Individuals that meet all the qualifying as well as income criteria are able to take advantage of this program.
Health Insurance Organizations in Delaware
According to the insurance department of Delaware, the top Delaware health insurance organizations are as follows:
- Aviva Life Insurance Company
- Aviva Life Insurance Company of New York
- Axa Corporate Solutions Life
- National Life & Accident Insurance Company
- Optimum Re Insurance Company
- Protective Life & Annuity Insurance Company
- United States Branch of Clarica Life Insurance Company
- American Life Insurance Company
- American Creditors Life Insurance Company
- AIG Life Insurance Company
- Cigna Worldwide Insurance Company
- Coventry Health & Life Insurance Company
- Chase Life & Annuity Company
- Delta Dental Insurance Company
- Delaware American Life Insurance Company
- Dentegra Insurance Company
- Globe Life & Accident Insurance Company
- Genworth Life Insurance Company
- Guardian Insurance & Annuity Company, Inc
- Household Life Insurance Company of Delaware
- Horizon Healthcare Insurance Company of Delaware
- Investors Insurance Corporation
- Independence Insurance, Inc
- Mellon Life Insurance Company
- Magellan Life Insurance Company
- Manulife Insurance Company
- Metropolitan Tower Life Insurance Company
- Metlife Investors USA Insurance Company
- Nationwide Life Insurance Company of Delaware
- Nationwide Life and Annuity Company of AM
- Perico Life Insurance Company
- Park Avenue Life Insurance Company
- Penn Insurance & Annuity Company
- Renaissance Life & Health Insurance Company of America
- Reliance Life Insurance Company
- Scottish Re (U.S), Inc
- Scottish Re Life Corp.
- United American Insurance Company
- Union Security Life Insurance Company
Delaware Insurance Department
For more information regarding Delaware Life Insurance, you can contact at the following address:
Delaware Insurance Commissioner & Dept. of Insurance
841 Silver Lake Blvd.
Dover, DE 19904
For telephonic assistance, call at (302) 674-7300