Introduction: As of 2001 to 2003, 16.3% of the total Colorado population were not covered with any health insurance coverage; as reported by Center for Disease Control. Below, we have provided a useful abstract to let the residents of Colorado get important information on the health insurance status and condition of their state. The abstract also contains names of top health insurance providers of the state.
Rules and Regulations for Colorado Health Insurance Companies
According to the laws proposed by Colorado state government for Colorado Health Insurance Companies are as follows:
- Must keep a guaranteed provision for renewal for each and every insurance policy they offer; so that every individual customer can renew their existing California health insurance policies and plans, as well.
- May implement a waiting period for any pre-existing medical condition; provided the duration can not be of greater than 12 months. Persons, who enjoyed treatment within last 12 months before commencement of Colorado Health Insurance plan, are only considered as individuals with a pre-existing medical condition. The duration of time they enjoyed treatment from prior medical insurance plan, can be deducted from the waiting period implemented by Colorado Health Insurance plan.
- May be registered from outside Colorado. However, those who got registration from state government of Colorado must have to follow the regulations passed by the state government.
- Those who deal in personal health insurance coverage are allowed to hike the premium rates as per health status and age of the customer. They have liberty to cancel any application from individuals considered as high-risk or uninsurable.
- Those who offer group as well as employer health insurance coverage can't reject any application from high risk or uninsurable individuals.
Self-employed individuals that meet the qualifying criteria can opt for small group Colorado health insurance plans. However, there are some restrictions. Every self-employed person is restricted to buy any self-employed small group Colorado health insurance plans within 31-day subsequent to his or her birthday.
Colorado Health Insurance Alternative Options
People who meet the qualifying criteria can access Colorado health insurance plans and policies through state-operated health insurance organizations. The list of those programs offered by the state may include:
- Colorado Medicaid: This program is obtainable to the Colorado dwellers that meet eligibility norms.
- Colorado Indigent Care Program: This plan is also available to the residents of Colorado who meet the qualifying criteria.
- Child Health Plan Plus (CHP+): This is the Colorado State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) which is specifically designed to meet the insurance demands of children below and up to 18 years. The program is also perfect for the would-be mothers who are at and above the age 19; provided they must be ineligible for Medicaid and unable to pay for individual Colorado health insurance.
- CoverColorado: This is a high-risk pool that helps people who are otherwise considered as uninsurable; to take advantage of Colorado health insurance.
- Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation (PBGC): Recipients of this program are qualified for Health Coverage Tax Credit (HCTC).
Colorado Health Insurance Organizations
According to Colorado Division of Insurance, the top Colorado Individual Health Insurance companies are as below:
- American Family Mutual Insurance Company
- American Medical Security Life Insurance Co.
- American Republic Insurance Company
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Celtic Insurance Company
- Golden Rule Insurance Company
- Guarantee Trust Life Insurance Company
- HMO CO, Inc.
- Healthcare Options, Inc.
- Humana Insurance Company
- Imerica Life and Health Insurance Company
- John Alden Life Insurance Company
- Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of CO
- MEGA Life and Health Insurance Company
- Mennonite Mutual Aid Association
- Mid-West National Life Insurance Co. of TN
- Pacificare of CO, Inc.
- Physicians Mutual Insurance Company
- San Luis Valley HMO
- Thrivent Financial for Lutherans
- Time Insurance Company
- World Insurance Company
For more and in-depth information on Colorado Health Insurance plans and policies, you can contact at the following address:
Colorado Division of Insurance
1560 Broadway, Suite 850
Denver, CO 80202
Phone: (303) 894-7499
Fax: (303) 894-7455